Burns Night 2017 Recipes: Haggis, Tatties, and Neeps, Burns Night 2017 Recipes: Haggis and Potatoes
Burns Night Recipes: Haggis, Tatties, and Neeps
Burns Night is a celebration held to honor the late poet Robert Burns. Along with the different kinds of recitals, the night cannot be completed without the sumptuous and fancy dinner. For this article, you will be taught how to cook one of the traditional Burns Night 2017 Recipes which is called the traditional Haggies, Tatties, and Neeps.
- 400 grams of quality Haggis which you should have purchase from a trusted butcher.
- 4 pieces of baking potatoes
- 50 grams of butter
- 50 grams of cream
- 1 piece of turnip
- 8 pieces of shallot
- 200 ml of cream
- 10 ml of whisky
- 500 ml of brown chicken stock
- 80 ml of port
- 200 ml of red wine
- 50 grams of sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
Preparation and Cooking
With the ingredients known, you can now prepare and cook the traditional Haggis, Tatties, and Neeps. Follow the steps below to be able to cook a very delicious Burns Night meal.
- Scrub the potatoes to be cleaned from dirt.
- Bake the potatoes in an oven at 180c temperature. Cook until the potatoes become soft.
- After cooking, remove the potatoes from the oven, peel them, then process the flesh using a potato ricer or a fine sieve.
- Add the butter and cream into the potatoes and mix.
- Peel the turnip and dice afterwards. Then cook it in water mixed with salt. Afterwards, process the turnip flesh using a potato ricer or a fine sieve.
- For the haggis, make sure to follow the instructions of the butcher based on the given size. Using a circular metal ring, fill a layer of haggis followed by the processed turnips and then the mashed potatoes.
- Using an oven, put in the 3 layer mixture and warm it.
- Make a stock my mixing some garlic, salt, thyme, sugar, and red wine. Put this mixture in a pan together with the shallots and simmer them until tender.
- After cooking, remove the outside layer.
- Make some whisky sauce using the brown chicken stock and cream. Add the whisky afterwards to taste.
- Serve the dish with the timetable of haggis, two pieces of shallots, and some whisky sauce.